Monday, November 7, 2011

Thanks Minda!

Another goal checked off the list. And this was a BIG one. I mean, 11 months ago I sort of joked that I was going to run a 7K race. I meant to try to run it, but I didn't think I really would. And then I did. A month later it was a 10K and 2 weeks later, another 10K. All of the sudden, I realized I was serious about running.

So when Minda suggested I run the MonsterDash Half-Marathon, in lieu of the MonsterDash 5K I was planning on, I joked that maybe I might just think about considering that idea.
Just before the start -
13.1 miles ahead of me
And then I did it.

It was not a great finish for me, though I did in fact meet my goal of under 2.5 hours (officially it was 2:31:53, but I am "officially" deducting 5 minutes for a very long porta-potty line at mile 4).

I hit no mental walls along the way - once I started, I knew I was going to finish - and in fact, I felt great for the first seven or eight miles. By mile nine, I was tired but going strong. At mile ten or eleven (they kind of blurred together) I was greeted and cheered on by good friends Mark and Anna and their lovely daughters, Ellie, Tabby and Malia.

Here I go - 13.05 miles
ahead of me.
About a half-mile down the road, my lower left leg started squeaking...and then screaming! I started jump-drag-hobbling. And then my right leg started whining about the added work it was having to do. And then they both threatened to quit on me!

When Minda joined me -
about 1 mile to go.
And then I heard a familiar voice: Minda cheering from the sidewalk! She jumped off the curb and started running with me - in her suede boots and carrying my bag of "stuff". I told her what was happening and that I was angry at my legs - I wanted to finish STRONG!! I wanted to do that last 1/4-mile sprint at the end that I have fallen in love with: passing people left and right, shaving seconds off my time, sucking wind like it's IPA-flavored.

But for the first time, I started doubting I was going to even make it to the finish line. What if my leg really did collapse? Minda would hear none of it!

"Come on, just tell your leg it has everything it needs - blood, oxygen, nutrients - and keep going. You're going to finish - tell it that." And I did. And Minda ran that last mile with me.
Finished! And (technically) under my goal time!
Thanks Minda for encouraging me all summer to do this - and pushing through with me to the very end!

3 comments:

  1. You are most welcome and what a welcome surprise to have a husband who loves to run as much (more?) than I do! Here's to next year's races!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so charming and sweet. I'm so happy you have found the women that inspires you and helps you through the rough times. You are both very blessed!Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so happy for you Scott. Do you have the "what's next feeling yet" it always happens to me.

    ReplyDelete